The Marauders were a group of five Gryffindors and classmates: Remus Lupin, Willow Evans, Peter Pettigrew, Sirius Black, and James Potter. The five attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from 1971-1978. They had a knack for rule-breaking and mischief-making. While at Hogwarts they also created the Marauder's Map, which continues to help future generations of mischief-makers.
The Marauders would all go on to fight in the First Wizarding War and some in the second. They were also participants in the original Order of the Phoenix, an organisation lead by Albus Dumbledore in the struggle against the Dark Lord, Voldemort.
The Marauders' strong friendship began in their first year at Hogwarts. Sirius, Willow and James met on the train and had been inseparable ever since and the three met Remus and Peter afterwards. By their fifth year, all but Remus Lupin, who was a werewolf, had secretly become unregistered Animagi in order to assist Remus during his transformations. James Potter's Animagus form was a shining red stag (Prongs), Sirius Black's was a shaggy black dog (Padfoot), Willow Evans' was a sly red fox, and Peter Pettigrew's was a fat grey rat (Wormtail).
As 'Padfoot' and 'Prongs', Sirius and James were large enough to control Remus (Moony) during his monthly transformations into a werewolf. 'Wormtail' (Peter) was small and nimble enough to get past the Whomping Willow's defences, so the group could get to the Shrieking Shack. The Marauders were frequently out of their beds at night to explored Hogwarts' grounds and the village of Hogsmeade during Lupins' transformation.
In the period between their fourth and fifth years at Hogwarts, James, Sirius, Willow, Remus, and Peter created the Marauder's Map, (James was also made the Quidditch Captain and Lily Evans and Remus were made prefects) a small, bewitched roll of parchment that displayed the castle grounds and inhabitants of Hogwarts — including all staff, ghosts and students — in great detail. The Marauders left the Map in their dorm when they left Hogwarts, the map was then later turned into the caretaker Argus Filch. Fred and George Weasley stole the map in their first year, and later passed it on to Harry Potter in 1993. Harry shared it with Violet Willis.
The Marauders were all members of Gryffindor House and greatly despised their Slytherin enemy, Severus Snape. It was discovered in Harry Potter's fifth year at Hogwarts that James and Sirius often bullied Snape (calling him 'Snivellus' and using humiliating spells on him), while Peter cheered them on. Although he greatly disapproved of their bullying, Remus did not try to stop them, something he would later come to regret.
In their Hogwarts years, the Marauders were affiliated with Patricia Rakepick, a Gryffindor student four years above them who shared their interest in breaking rules. They also shared their dislike towards Snape. Rakepick knew about the Marauder's Map as well.
First Wizarding War
The Marauders would all go on to become members of the original Order of the Phoenix against the Dark Lord, Voldemort, as adults. Peter Pettigrew, though belonging to the Order of the Phoenix, later turned on his friends in favour of Voldemort's protection. Recently forced into hiding, James and Lily Potter made Pettigrew the Secret Keeper of their location, at Sirius's suggestion. His theory in doing this was that Peter was the least expected choice, further protecting the secret.
In a selfish act to save himself, however, Peter revealed the location of the Potters' cottage to Voldemort and betrayed his friends. Consequently, James and Lily were murdered at the hands of the Dark Lord in an attempt to protect their infant son, Harry, from being hurt.
The same night as the murders of Lily and James, another Marauder child was born. Willow and Sirius' daughter Violet was born after Willow went into labour following the heartbreak she felt when she lost her sister. However, Sirius never got the chance to meet his newborn daughter that night.
An incensed Sirius confronted Peter about his traitorous actions in a Muggle street, but the latter narrowly escaped by unleashing a curse all around him — killing a dozen Muggles in the process — and cut off his own finger. He then transformed into his rat form and fled into the sewers, framing Sirius as the traitor to the Potters and a killer. Sirius was taken to Azkaban with no trial, where he faced 12 dismal years of imprisonment before his escape in 1993.
Peter had successfully faked his own death and remained the victim to Sirius' falsely alleged crimes. In his rat form (under the name 'Scabbers') he came into the possession of Percy Weasley and later his younger brother Ron.
A few days later, Willow was arrested by the Ministry for conspiring with Sirius, a known murderer. Remus Lupin, who was the godfather, sent the newborn Violet to live with a Muggle family where she would grow up not knowing who her real parents were.
Sirius' years in Azkaban were spent with the knowledge that he was innocent, the love for his wife and daughter, and that the true traitor and killer was Peter Pettigrew. So strong was the belief that Sirius was guilty that the fifth Marauder, Remus, thought one of his oldest friends was a killer and the reason that the Potters' location had been revealed to Voldemort.
in 1993, Sirius Black was able to escape Azkaban in his Animagus form (Padfoot being malnourished enough to slip through the Azkaban bars, and thwart the Dementors). Sirius' goal was to seek revenge on his former friend Peter Pettigrew, whom he had discovered was still alive and currently hiding as Ron Weasley's pet rat, Scabbers, at Hogwarts. At this time, Remus Lupin had been the newly appointed Defence Against the Dark Arts professor. He met Harry Potter and Violet Willis at this time, and discovered that Peter was alive from the Marauder's Map, further concluding that Sirius was innocent. Lupin kept his lycanthropy a secret from the students and staff.
Sirius Black and Remus Lupin reunited to reveal Scabbers as Peter Pettigrew. The old friends were about to finish Peter once and for all, but Harry Potter stopped them, telling them that Peter should be taken to Azkaban to clear Sirius's criminal record. It was also revealed that Sirius was Violet's birth father.
However, the plan backfired, and whilst the others were distracted with Remus's sudden transformation into a werewolf, Peter once again escaped to rejoin his old master, Lord Voldemort. With his servant's help in 1995, Voldemort was able to regain his full body and regain magic ability using a Rudimentary Body Potion. Peter lost his hand in the process — to which his master replaced it with a silver one.
Second Wizarding War
Voldemort returned to power for the second time, kick-starting the Second Wizarding War. A new Order of the Phoenix was established whose members included both Remus and Sirius, who were both members of the original Order.
At Christmas in 1995, Willow was reunited with Remus and Sirius, after Violet discovered her at the ministry.
Sirius was murdered in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries by his Death Eater cousin, Bellatrix Lestrange. He was struck with an unknown spell in a moment of recklessness, causing him to fall through the Veil in the Death Chamber to his death. After his death, Sirius' name was cleared of all charges when Voldemort and his supporters came back in the open. His death also caused Harry an extreme amount of grief and pain but also strengthened his resolve in his fight against Voldemort and his followers. This also caused the Minister for Magic at the time (Cornelius Fudge) to finally acknowledge Voldemort's returned presence in the wizarding world.
In April 1998 Remus' wife Tonks became pregnant with a boy, whom they asked Harry to be the godfather of, as they considered Harry to be the best option. Shortly before Teddy's birth, Peter Pettigrew met his end in 1998. Remus Lupin was murdered soon after in May of 1998 during the Battle of Hogwarts in a duel against Antonin Dolohov. Willow was killed by Lord Voldemort, while protecting her daughter. Willow's death marked the end of the Marauders. Her death also fortified the tradition of all five members dying in a way that is affiliated with Harry or Violet.
Harry briefly spoke with his father, mother, his girlfriend, Sirius, and Remus through the Resurrection Stone, before facing Voldemort in the Forbidden Forest. The echos of the three Marauders and Lily gave him the strength he needed to face Voldemort and they also kept the Dementors at bay. They were with him until he entered the clearing where Voldemort and his Death Eaters were located, as he dropped the stone before their confrontation.
After Remus and Tonks's deaths, Teddy was raised by his maternal grandmother Andromeda Tonks, with help from his godfather. Harry named his first son in honour of his deceased father and Sirius, James Sirius Potter. It is also noted the James Sirius takes after his grandfather and Sirius, sharing many of their personality traits. The Marauder's Map was also passed on to a new generation of students.
List of Marauder promises
The Marauders made a bunch of rules and promises they had to remember.
- Marauder Vow: When making a Marauder Vow, you can never break it, if it is broken, then the Marauders no longer exist. A Marauder Vow was made in 1972 when they found out Remus Lupin was a werewolf. They vowed that they would do anything they could to help him during his transformations.
- Marauder Swear: When you Marauder Swear, you swear on everything you have and own, should you neglect your promise you may never be approached by a Marauder ever again and you will never be talked about amongst the Marauders. Lily Evans Marauder Swore to never tell anyone that Remus Lupin was a werewolf in 1973. The Marauders also all swore to friendship before they left Hogwarts in 1972.
- Marauder Rules: The Marauder Rules were a series of rules put on a parchment of paper, including but not limited to no dating within the group (dating is gross), never cheat with another friend group, always tell the truth, always cause mischief where you can, and never let a good prank go to waste.
Behind the scenes
- Their nicknames all have something to do with their transformed states. Lupin turns into a werewolf at the full moon (Moony), Pettigrew transforms into a rat, which has a tail that resembles a worm (Wormtail), Sirius transforms into a dog, which have padded feet (Padfoot), and James turns into a stag, whose antlers are prongs (Prongs). Willow transforms into a fox with has paws (Paws). This is explained to Harry by Lupin at the end of his third year.
- Four of the Marauders went on to have families of their own. James Potter, who married Lily Evans and fathered Harry Potter. Remus Lupin, who married Nymphadora Tonks and had a son named Teddy. Willow and Sirius married each other and had Violet Black and later in life Gaia and Regulus Black. Neither family lasted for very long, as both parents would eventually be killed, orphaning their children, and leaving godfathers to guard their sons (Sirius in the case of the Potters, Remus in the case of the Blacks, and Harry in the case of the Lupins). However, the three children's childhoods differ drastically. While Harry is raised by his cruel aunt and uncle and separated from his godfather, Violet is raised in a loving household, unbeknownst to who she is, while her godfather looked out for her, Teddy is raised by his loving grandmother with help from his godfather, Gaia and Regulus are too raised by Andromeda Tonks with help from Harry and Violet.